10 Smart ways to save on fuel in 2019
The cost of fuel has become increasingly expensive over the past few years. Here are 10 simple adjustments you can make to save on fuel in 2019.
- Try to combine all our errands in one trip per day - a car that has been parked for a few hours consumes a lot more fuel for the first 10km of your trip.
- Avoid rush hour if you can; your vehicle uses the most fuel in first and second gear. If you do get stuck in a traffic jam, rather travel at a slow speed that braking and accelerating continuously.
- Don't drive with open windows. It increases the drag on your vehicle and uses more fuel. The A/C is more economical in the long run.
- Remove your roof rack when not in uses. This accessory also increases drag on your car when not in use.
- Empty out your boot. Heavy items like golf clubs can add to the overall weight of your car considerably.
- The most fuel-efficient speed lies between 80 - 90 km/h. Give yourself plenty of time to complete your journey, travel in the highest gear and accelerate smoothly.
- Rather drop into a lower gear that pushing the accelerator down to capacity, which guzzles fuel.
- Don't use the air-conditioner when it's not necessary - it takes a lot of fuel to run cold.
- Don't go over the speed limit. It's there for your safety and also saves on fuel.
- Check your tyre pressure regularly - the lower the pressure, the more fuel you use.
These are ten smart ways to save on fuel in 2019. For more expert advice on becoming a better driver in 2019, keep an eye on the blog in coming weeks and months. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to the REEDS team for more information on the fuel-efficient models we have in stock.